The Weekly Update consisting of Important News, Events, Facts and Achievements. Browse Regularly for Strengthening your General Knowledge, and staying abreast with what is happening around you.
National Political News:
1. The Supreme Court of India has quashed reservations for the Jat Community/Caste in central Govt services etc. The Govt. is trying to seek a solution within the legal framework, after the reservations were quashed and the Jat protests were there to the quashing of the reservations. Jats constitute a major chunk of votes in West U.P.,Haryana,Rajasthan and parts of M.P.
2. The Supreme Court of India in another significant judgement has struck down Section 66A of the Information Technology Act 2000. Section 66A pertained to arrest of persons posting offensive information on the Internet,Facebook,Twitter or any other electronic medium etc. It all started with the protests against the arrest of two young ladies in Mumbai for having posted some material after the death of a Maharashtra stalwart which was deemed to be offensive.
3. Madhya Pradesh Governor Ram Naresh Yadav’s son Shailesh Yadav found dead under mysterious circumstances in his home at Lucknow.As per doctors who examined him,it is a case of poisioning prima facie.
Shailesh Yadav was involved in MP Vyavsayik Pariksha Mandal (Vyapah) scandal of corrupt practices- It pertained to irregular admission to professional colleges based on its exams and furthermore manipulation of Govt. jobs on the boards selection process for the candidates.
4. AAP internal conflict is coming to a head with dissenting founder members Yogendra Yadav and Prashant Bhushan likely to be expelled at the forthcomingAAP National Council meet.
5. Former Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee conferred with the nation’s highest award Bharat Ratna at his residence 6A Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi at a simple ceremony by the President of India Pranab Mukerjee .Vajpayee had been in poor health for the past few years.
International Political News:
1. Saudi Arabian intervention in Yemen.
Saudi Arabia is leading a Pan Arab Sunni Muslim build up of Bahrain,UAE,Jordan,Egypt,Morrocco and Sudan for a strike against the Iran backed Shiaite Houthi military insurgency. The Sunni Shia division is as old as the Islam itself.
Saudi Arabian jets bomb Houthi held positions in Yemen.The Yemeni President flees from the port city of Aden to Saudi Arabia. Aden is under siege from the Houthis.
Aden port is on the Red sea enroute to the Suez canal through which major oil supplies to the west pass.
2. A major air crash took place of A-320 Airbus of German Wings ,a subsidiary of German airline Lufthansa while on a flight from Spain to Germany with 150 people aboard on the French Alps. The crash appears to be the handiwork of the 27 year old German Co-pilot who deliberately crashed the plane by locking himself in the cockpit and setting the aircraft descent on the altimeter from 35000ft. to 200 ft.
3.Nigeria’s military has retaken the town of Gwoza from Boko Haram, an insurgent group of Islamic radicals who had declared their caliphate there and later on declared their allegiance to the ISIS of Iraq/Syria. Abubakar Shekau continue to lead the Boko Haram group.
1. The World stock markets including India had a sharp fall fearing an impending all out war in Yemen. Indian stock index Nifty had dropped sharply to 8350 and the Sensex to under 28000. Nifty and Sensex had previously in this month crossed 9000 and over 30000 levels respectively.
Crude oil prices also surged to $ 58 a barrel fearing disruption in supplies on the back of the ongoing conflict.
2. 3 Telecom companies Idea, Bharti and Vodafone shall be paying the Indian Govt. Rs 85000 crore for the spectrum auction. A total amount of Rs109875 crores shall be received by the Govt. from 7 firms including these 3 firms in the 800,900,1800 and 2100 MHZ airwaves spectrum.
Science and Technology:
A Mumbai based company Exfaq has developed a device known as “Falcon” for the aircraft Black box which will give the position of the aircraft in real time at the time of the crash and its location update. Falcon has been developed as a sequel to the crash/disappearance of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 without a trace.
Cricket World Cup
1. India suffer a heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Australia at Sydney in World cup semis. Steven Smith with 103 runs lead the Aussie charge of 328/7 in 50 overs. India replied with 233 all-out with MS Dhoni being the Indian team top scorer with 65.
2. In the other semi final, which was curtailed by rain and played at Auckland, New Zealand beat S.Africa. S.Africa batting first scored281/5 in 43 overs. New Zealand replied with 299/6 in 42.5 overs to clinch the match as per Duckworth Lewis method of arriving at target scores in rain affected matches.
3. The World cup has been won by Australia in a final played on Sunday. The Aussies were set a target of 183 by the New Zealanders who were skittled out in 45 overs by the Aussies pace battery of Starc, Johnson and Faulkner. G.Elliot scored 83 and Taylor 40 in the New Zealand innings. Aussies captain Clarke who has announced his retirement from one day cricket scored74 runs in his last one day International match.
In the Malaysian grand prix at Sepang in Malaysia, Sebastian Vettal of Germany won the race in a Ferrari car. He was followed at the 2nd and 3rd spot in the race by Lewis Hamilton of Great Britain in a Mercedes and Nico Roseberg of Germany again in a Mercedes.
1. In the Yonex Sunrise India Open, played at the Sir Fort Complex ,New Delhi, Saina Nehwal of India won the Indian Open women’s single title for the first time beating Ratchanok of Thailand 21-16,21-14.
Incidentally 25 year old Saina Nehwal has also become the World Number 1.
2. The mens singles final was also won by an Indian,K Srikanth who defeated 6th seed Victor Axelsen 18-21,21-13,21-12. K Srikanth is now ranked in the Worlds top 5 .He was ranked 47th previously in January 2014.