National Political News:
1. Tremors continue to be felt in India and Nepal after last week’s major earth quake in Nepal. Death toll in Nepal is nearing 10,000 and in India its stand at 62. Rs.6 lakh compensation per head for kin of those killed in earth quake has been announced by Govt. of India. The earth quake is attributed to the movement of the Indian sub continental plate northwards towards Tibet.
Various countries worldwide are sending aid to Nepal for rescue and rehabilitation of its quake affected citizens.
Courageous Indian girl Anita Kundu continues with her Everest climb in the face of avalanches as the result of the earth quake.
2. TMC sweeps Bengal civic polls.
70 Municipalities out of 92 have been won by TMC. BJP has failed to open its account. The Left has won 6 followed by Congress at 5.
3. The cabinet lead by PM Modi has announced that rain affected harvested wheat grain shall not be subjected to value cut on procurement of the same by Central Agencies like the FCI etc.
Gujarat, Haryana, Punjab, MP, Rajasthan and UP farmers who were the most affected because of the unseasonal rains stand to benefit under the relaxed quality norms. This issue was snow balling into a major controversy as distressed farmers were resorting to suicides.
4. CBI charge sheets Ex. Congress MP and Industrialist Naveen Jindal, Ex. Minister of state for Coal Dasari Narayan Rao, Former Jharkhand CM Madhu Koda and 12 others in connection with Amarkonda Murgadangal coal block allocation to JSPL and Jindal Reality Pvt. Ltd.
International Political News:
1. Yemen shook by Air raids, shelling and ground fighting in the most widespread combat after Saudi lead alliance combatted Iranian allied Houthi militia, who are in control of wide areas of Yemen. Houthi’s hold control over capital city of Sanaa and Southern city of Aden which are also under attack.
2. Philippines opposes control of South China seas which are rich in oil and gas and reclamation of land by China at the regional summit of ASEAN members at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Chinese claims overlap with Vietnam, Taiwan, Philippines, Brunei and even Malaysia in the South China seas.
3. Mini cyclone kills 45, injures 200 in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa in Pakistan. Buildings collapsed, trees and electric polls got uprooted as winds of over 120 kph and heavy rains lashed the area.
4. Indonesia executes 8 drug trafficking convicts belonging to Nigeria, Australia, Brazil and Indonesia. Australia recalls its ambassador from Indonesia in protest against the execution of two of its citizens amongst the above 8 drug traffickers.
1. Veteran Indian Industrialist Ratan Tata picks up stake in Chinese start up Xiaomi, the largest telephone maker in China.
2. French IT major Capgemini acquires NASDAQ listed Igate for over $4 billion. It is the biggest M&A acquisition in the global IT sector. Igate was founded 1988 by two Indian Americans Sunil Wadhwani, and Ashok Trivedi. Igate has a 33000 empoyees base in India. Igate had previously acquired Patni computer for $1.2 million in India in 2012.
3. MAT issues to continue to irritate the FII’s. Application of MAT retroactively is at the heart of the problem. Funds from US and Europe do not enjoy any treaty benefit with India and are thus subjected to MAT on their profits in the Indian Stock Markets.
4. Private sector banks ICICI and Axis Bank along with Auto major Maruti has shown good 4th quarter FY 15 results.
Science and Technology:
1. The premier American Space Agency NASA has tested in a controlled experiment, an electromagnetic drive which could propel space flights at the speed of light.
The device works by using magnets to create microwaves/EM waves, which are passed through it to create thrust. The system shall reduce the need to carry fuel for propulsion in space.
2. India is to rely on an integrated border management system relying on advances in technology to safeguard the India -Pak border in J&K. The integrated system shall comprise of thermal imaging, fibre optics communications, radar scanner and sensors which will be installed at 8 rivulets that have been used in the past for infiltration of terrorists by Pakistan army.
1. In St. George’s, West Indies, James Anderson’s fiery bowling in West Indies Second Innings, taking 4 wickets for 43 runs took England to a 9 wicket win. West Indies scored 299 and 307 in the first and second innings of the match respectively. England replied with 464 and 144 for 1 wicket in 41.1 overs to win the second test match of the 3 match series.
2. In the soccer Premier league match at London, Manchester United were defeated 3–0 by Everton.
English club Chelsea, Man city, Arsenal, Man United and Liverpool are in the top 5 clubs for Premier league title.
For the German Bundesliga title the top 4 clubs in the race are – Bayern, Wolfsburg, M’Gladbach and Leverkusen.
For the Spanish La Liga title the 5 soccer clubs in contention are Barcelona, Real Madrid, Athletico Madrid, Sevilla and Valencia.
3. India Premier League Resuls
• Royal Challengers Bangalore batting second scored 99 runs in 10.3 overs to beat Delhi Daredevils who could manage 95 runs only in 18.2 overs at their Home turf in Delhi.
• In Chennai, Chennai Super Kings scored 134 runs for 6 wickets in 20 overs and beat Kolkata Knight Riders who could manage132 run for 9 wickets in 20 overs.
• In Kolkata, Kolkata Knight Riders scored 169 runs for 3 wickets in 19.5 overs to beat Chennai Super Kings who scored 165 runs for 9 wickets in 20 overs.
• In a Bangalore rain affected match, Kolkata Knight Riders could score 111 runs for 4 wickets in 10 overs and lost to Royal Challengers Bangalore who scored 115 runs for 3 wickets 19.4 overs.
• Sunrisers Hyderabad made 192 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs to humble Chennai Super Kings who could score 170 runs only for 6 wickets in 20 overs at Hyderabad.