National Political News
1. The spat between Arvind Kejriwal, CM of Delhi and Delhi Lt. Governor Najeeb Jung has taken a turn for the worst over the appointment of Acting Chief Secretary Shakuntla Gamlin by the Lt. Governor. The Delhi Government has locked out Principal Secretary Services Anindo Majumdar from his office for issuing the orders of Shakuntla Gamlin as Acting Chief Secretary and has subsequently ordered his removal from office. The Lt Governor has cancelled the appointment of replacement of Anindo Majumdar by the Delhi Government. The Central Govt. has allowed the Lt. Governors decision to prevail in the matter.
2. The Aruna Shanbaug Saga of trauma which started with a sexual assault on her on Nov. 27, 1973 at KEM hospital Bombay, while on duty by a ward boy has come to an end with her vegetative state of over four decades coming to a rest. Leading lawyers/activists had moved the Courts for her right to a dignified end as she suffered from euthanasia as an aftermath of the assault, without much success.
3. Jagtar Singh Tara who headed the dreaded terrorist organization Khalistan Tiger Force has made a startling confession that Lashkar-e-Taiba, is training and assisting Khalistani terrorists in Pakistan. Tara had masterminded the assassination of Ex. Punjab CM Beant Singh in a human bomb blast at the Punjab Civil Secretariat in Chandigarh in the year 1995. Tara has also confessed to dropping of arms/ammunition given to him by Pakistanis by a paraglider from across the border into India.
4. Pakistani Green and White and Lashkar-e-Taibas white and black flag were fluttered in Srinagar after the midday weekly Friday congregation at Jama Masjid Srinagar by protestors owing allegiance to separatist Pakistan backed organizations.
5. Jayalalithaa, AIADMK supremo has been sworn in as CM of Tamil Nadu after her release by the Karnataka High Court in the disproportionate assets case. Karnataka AG plants a thorn and is to go into appeal in the disproportionate assets case against Jayalalithaa.
6. Modi government completes one year in office. The 360° view of 365 days of the Government projects a hands on Prime Minister by the analysts as the Government promises more action on all the fronts.
7. Heat wave sweeps across India. Over 335 people dead as temperatures as high as 48°C are recorded in parts of Telangana state. Allahabad city in central India records a high of 47°C.
1. PM Modi’s visit to South Korea brings dividend in the shape of investments of $10 billion in the Indian infrastructure projects, development of smart cities, railways, power generation and other diversified areas by the South Korean Government and Business Houses. Indian and South Korea have agreed to raise their bilateral relationship to ‘Special Strategic partnership’. South Korea shall also back India for NSG membership (Nuclear Suppliers Group).
2. Shia Militia fighters backed by the Iraqi Government are regrouping outside the Iraqi city of Ramadi for an assault to retake it after it was overrun by ISIS two days ago. US lead warplanes have stepped up raids against ISIS near Ramadi with 19 strikes during the past 72 hrs at the request of Iraqi Military. Ramadi is the capital of Anbar province and is in the Euphrates River valley of Iraq.
3. ISIS have overrun the Syrian heritage city of Palmyra. USNESCO fears that extremists may destroy priceless ruins as they have done in neighboring Iraq. Around a third of 200,000 inhabitants of Palmyra may have fled in the past few days fearing the ISIS occupation forces.
Business and Commerce
1. Apropos the PM Modi’s China visit, Indian company ILFS (Infrastructure Leasing and Financial Services Ltd.) has raised $1 billion of financial support from Industrial and Commercial bank of China.
A subsidiary of ILFS, IL&FS Energy Development Co. will develop, implement and operate a 3960MW coal based costal power project in Kutch, Gujarat with Chinas Huaneng group.
2. Gold is losing its sheen in rural India because of unseasonal rains, hailstorms and poor monsoon rains. Gold consumption in the country which stood at 811 tonnes in 2014 is likely to witness a significant drop this year. Finance Ministry has issued a Gold monetization scheme for unlocking the value of Gold held by Indians as tax free earnings on deposits of Gold starting as low as 30 gms.
3. Noted Indian Actor, Amitabh Bachchan and his family have picked up a sizeable stake in Singapore based technology company Meridian Tech Pte which owns Ziddu.com, a free cloud storage and e-distribution start up. Ziddu.com is amongst the top 5 file sharing sites in the World, generating 1–2 billion page views from visitors of more than 225 countries.
4. A three member MAT panel has been set up by the Government of India, to go into the levy of MAT on FII’s for the period prior to April 1, 2015.
Science and Technology
A New York Engineering Institute has researched on a new material Magnesium alloy matrix composite reinforced with silicon carbide hollow particles with a total density of 0.92 gms/cm3 which is lighter than water’s density of 1.0 gms/cm3. It thus makes it an ideal material for construction of sea faring ships and boats and shall make them virtually unsinkable. This material faces the rigours of marine environment and in combination with Synctatic foams the ships based on these building materials will offer a high buoyancy.
1. Indian Premier League Results
• The four teams that have entered the IPL semifinals are Mumbai Indians, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals.
• Royal Challengers Bangalore batting second scored 2 runs in 1.1 overs and drew a rain hit match with Delhi Daredevils who had scored a good total of 187 runs for 5 wickets in 20 overs. Royal Challengers Banglore secured a semifinal berth on the basis of points.
• Mumbai Indians at 114 for 1 wicket at Hyderabad beat Sunrisers Hyderabad who had scored 113 runs all out in 20 overs to get into the semifinals.
• In a semifinal match at Mumbai, Mumbai Indians scored 187 for 6 wickets in 20 overs to defeat Chennai Super Kings who managed 162 all out in 19 overs to sail into the IPL finals. Simmons with 65 runs was the top scorer for Mumbai Indians and their Malinga with 3 wickets for 23 runs in 4 overs was the major wicket taker in Chennai Super Kings innings.
• In the eliminator IPL match played at Pune, Royal Challengers Bangalore made 180 for 4 wickets in 20 overs with their AB de Villiers making 66 runs. Rajasthan Royals replied with 109 all out in 19 overs and were outclassed in all department of the game.
• In the battle of Captains played at Ranchi, MS Dhoni leading Chennai Super Kings vs Virat Kohli of Royal Challengers Bangalore, went in favour of MS Dhoni. Royal Challengers Bangalore made 139 runs for 8 wickets in 20 overs. Chennai Super Kings replied with 140 for 7 wickets in 19.5 overs and thus took the match.
2. The trio of Lionel Messi, Neymar and Suarez of Spanish club Barcelona have won the La Liga title and are on way to the Champions League finals in the game of Soccer.