National Political News:
1. A UNSC committee assures India to take up the release of Mumbai terror mastermind LET chief Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi (26/11-Nov 2008 attack) by Pakistan courts/administration violating the provisions of the global body during its next meet. As per UN provisions, his assets and accounts should be frozen, travel banned and total arms embargo be placed on him since he is a listed terrorist associated with Al-Qaeda. Lakhvi (55) is a relative of Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JUD) chief Hafiz Saeed. The 26 November 2008 attack in Mumbai was the brain child of these terrorists.
2. PM Narendra Modi has begun communicating directly with Chinese people after opening an account on Chinese Weibo–Twitter social platform, 10 days before the commencement of his official visit to China. PM Modi twitted ‘ni hao’– on Weibo, that is the greeting –Hello China.
3. Indian media has taken a beating in Nepal for their insensitive coverage of the Nepal tragedy and have been asked to go back to India by the Nepalese authorities.
4. India and Bangladesh have made a key land pact with 111 Indian enclaves in Bangladesh and 51 Bangladeshi enclaves in India held by each country in others land, to be restored back to each country. A constitutional amendment bill has been passed by the Indian Parliament to that effect. It enables operationalization of May 16, 1974 land boundary agreement between late PM Indira Gandhi and late Sheikh Mujibur Rahman erstwhile PM of Bangladesh.
5. On the eve of PM Modi’s visit to Dantewada (hot bed of maoists), Chhattisgarh, Maoists capture and release 200 hostages in a diabolical show of strength.
International Political News:
1. Nepal has shut its airport to big jet planes carrying relief material, as runways at airports have started developing cracks as an aftermath of the earth quake.
2. In Britain David Cameroon lead Conservative party also known as the ‘Torries’ have won the general elections in England. David Cameroon shall continue to be PM of Britain for the next 5 years. 43 minority MP’s which include the people of Indian and Pakistani origin have also been elected to the British Parliament.
3. ISIS own up the credit for a failed terrorist attack on a Prophet drawing contest in Texas, US. The 2 assailants were killed in a shootout with the US security agency. It is believed that a Pakistani American and an African American converted to Islam were the terrorists.
1. The HSBC Purchase Mangers Index (PMI) fell to 51.3 pts in April form 52.1 in March reflecting a subdued manufacturing sentiment.
2. The GST bill opposition is coming from manufacturing states like Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra and Gujarat, who fear they will lose revenue on imposition of GST, whereas consumption states like UP, West Bengal and Kerala amongst others stand to gain as they will have a greater share of taxes.
3. The tax department has issue demand notices of Rs.6500–7000cr. to foreign portfolio investors (FPI) claiming MAT on capital gains made on transactions in the Indian Stock Market. The finance ministry has now collated data on notices sent by its field officers against the earlier estimate of Rs.40,000 cr.
There is a huge FPI/FII sell off in the Indian Stock Market on MAT imposition fears.
Science and Technology:
1. Microsoft has been awarded a patent for smart glasses that will allow its wearers to detect and interpret the emotion of people in their field of vision.
Sensors including depth Cameras, microphone mounted on nose bridges will pick-up audio and visual information from a subject.
2. NASA’s 10 engine electric plane clears test flight. The hybrid diesel/electric engines plane is powered by batteries and is named as Greased lightning GL10 and can lift up like a helicopter. The prototype has been tested at NASA research centre, Virginia, USA.
1. President Pranab Mukerjee presents the best actress award to Kangana Ranaut for her role in the film “Queen” at the 62nd national films award at New Delhi. South Indian actor Vijay won the best actor award for his role in Kannada film “Nanu Avanalla Avalu”. Priyanka Chopra starrer “Mary Kom” won the best popular film award.
2. Mx will be the next honorific for transgender. It shall join Mr, Mrs, Miss and Ms as an honorific.
3. Noted actor Salman Khan was sentenced to 5 year jail term for a hit and run accident in 2002 by a Trial Court. His car rammed into a bakery in Bandra, Mumbai killing 1 and injuring 4 sleeping on the footpath. The Bombay high court has admitted the appeal of the actor against the sentence and granted him bail.
1. American boxer Floyd Mayweather beats Phillipinian boxer Manny Pacquiao in Las Vegas on points 118/110, 116/112 and 116/112 awarded by the 3 Judges overseeing the match. Billed as the fight of the century, Mayweather walked away with a prize money of $200 million, the richest boxing bout bounty to date.
2. English Soccer club Chelsea won their 1st Premier League title in London with a 1–0 victory over Crystal Palace. Chelsea is coached by Jose Mourinhos, famous football coach for the last 5 years. Chelsea lead on the points table against Manchester City by 16 points to win the title.
At Madrid, Spain for the La Liga title, Real Madrid beat Seville 3–2, with their Cristiano Ronaldo scoring a hat-trick.
3. In the last and final test played at Bridgetown, Barbados, West Indies beat England to draw the series. England 257 & 123 runs in the first and the second innings respectively, lost to West Indies who made 189 & 194 for 5 wickets in the first and second innings respectively to win the match.
4. Indian Premier League Results
• At Mohali, Mumbai Indians scored 172 runs for 3 wickets in 20 overs to thrash Kings XI Punjab who scored 149 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs.
• In Mumbai, Rajasthan Royals scored 189 runs for 2 wickets in 20 overs to defeat Delhi Daredevils who could score 175 runs only for the loss of 7 wickets in 20 overs.
• At Chennai, Chennai Super Kings made 148 runs for 9 wickets in 20 overs to beat Royal Challengers Bangalore 124 all out in 19.4 overs.
• In Kolkata, Kolkata Knight Riders scored 167 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs to beat Sunrisers Hyderabad who scored 132 runs for 9 wickets in 20 overs.
• At Mumbai, Mumbai Indians scored 153 for 5 wickets in 19.3 overs to beat Delhi Daredevils who scored 152 runs for 6 wickets in 20 overs.
• At Bangalore, Royal Challengers Bangalore were 226 for 3 wickets in 20 overs and smashed Kings XI Punjab who scored 88 runs all out in 13.4 overs.
• In Mumbai, Sunrisers Hyderabad scored 201 for 4 wickets in 20 overs to beat Rajasthan Royals 199 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs.
• In Kolkata, Kolkata Knight Riders score 171 runs for 7 wickets in 20 overs to beat Delhi Daredevils who scored 158 runs for 6 wickets in 20 overs.