Ferment is a process in which an agent causes an organic substance to break down into simpler substances. It is also used for a state of agitation or turbulent change. It is a noun.
The word ferment originated around 1350-1400 and was derived from the Latin word fermentum.
Meanings of Ferment
1. The process of fermentation.
2. Go sour or spoil.
3. Something that causes fermentation.
Master’s Tip to Learn Ferment
The word Ferment sounds like ’firm+end’. A ferment breaks something into simpler substances that are more stable than before and hence brings them to a firm end so it can easily be recalled used this method.
Sentence examples for Ferment:
1. They ferment the grapes for a very long time to achieve high alcohol content.
2. Yeast is known to ferment the sugar in the juice.
3. After the opposing political party finally won the election, the town was in a state of ferment.