The definition of fortitude is having strong will in the face of danger or pain and refers to strength in the face of adversity or difficulty. Continuing a race in spite of an injury is an example of fortitude. It is a noun and comes from Latin fortitūdō courage.
Meanings of Fortitude
1. (Noun) mental and emotional strength in facing difficulty, adversity, danger, or temptation courageously
2. (Noun) strength and firmness of mind; resolute endurance
Master’s Tip to Learn Fortitude
When someone has fortitude it means that they have emotional power or reserves and the ability to withstand adversity. People who have fortitude are described in an admiring way for their courage. In one of the match between India and West Indies, Anil Kumble got badly injured and his jaw got displaced however he continued to play the game showing his “FORTITUDE”.
Sentence examples for Fortitude:
1. He showed great fortitude during his long illness.
2. He suffered his illness with dignity and fortitude.
3. Never once did her fortitude waver during that long illness.