This is word that comes into English through the world of shipping. The captain of ship steers the ship from its helm, like in the image shown above. When the same meaning is applied in other senses, the position of the captain translates into a position of power and leadership. So the word ends up being used like this:
Another couple of examples for the word helm are:
- The Prime Minister of the country is at the helm of affairs of the nation.
- The man at the helm of the company today is one who began his career right at the bottom.
The dictionary definitions for Helm are as follows:
1. Nautical: The steering gear of a ship, especially the tiller or wheel. (noun)
2. A position of leadership or control. (noun)
3. To take the helm of; steer or direct. (verb)
The following is an extract used for educational purposes: ‘It was fully expected that Turkey’s voters would return Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s Justice and Development Party (AKP) for a third consecutive term. This success owes to the AKP’s achievements in its nearly decade-long rule. With Mr. Erdogan at the helm, the country has undergone a successful economic transformation.’
Read further on: