- These tests are a check for your learning and your level with respect to the basic vocabulary skills
- Directions for individual questionsEach question has a sentence that uses an idiom or phrase. You need to identify the apt meaning of the idiom/phrase from the given options
Idioms and Phrases: Test-4
Congratulations - you have completed Idioms and Phrases: Test-4. You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%. Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Your answers are highlighted below.
Have the last laugh
To be of a joyful nature
Laugh only after understanding something
To be victorious at the end of an argument
To crack the final joke
Question 1 Explanation:
The idiom ‘Have the last laugh’ means: To get victory at the end of the argument after defeating the opponents. For example: He didn’t say anything offensive but he got the last laugh unlimately
Turn a deaf ear
Question 2 Explanation:
The idiom ‘Turn a deaf ear’ means: To ignore or disobey. Not to pay heed to something For example: Don’t turn deaf ear to your uncle’s warning.
To smell a rat
To experience bad smell
To see a hidden meaning
To suspect a trick
Question 3 Explanation:
The idiom ‘To smell a rat’ means: to get suspicious of something unusual going on. For example: I smelt a rat when I saw them together in the shopping mall.
All his ventures went to the winds.
Question 4 Explanation:
The Idiom ‘went to the winds’ means: Not to materialize or to dissipate. For example: I was depressed after my plan went to the winds
At snail's pace
To do things very slowly
To be weak
To be very methodical and neat
To be indifferent
Question 5 Explanation:
The idiom ‘At snail’s pace’ means: at a very slow pace. For example: The official work took place at snail’s pace.
Once you are finished, click the button below. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.
There are 5 questions to complete.
Want to explore more Idioms and Phrases Tests?
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-5
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-6
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-7
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-8
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-9