- These tests are a check for your learning and your level with respect to the basic vocabulary skills
- Directions for individual questionsEach question has a sentence that uses an idiom or phrase. You need to identify the apt meaning of the idiom/phrase from the given options
Idioms and Phrases: Test-7
Congratulations - you have completed Idioms and Phrases: Test-7. You scored %%SCORE%% out of %%TOTAL%%. Your performance has been rated as %%RATING%%
Your answers are highlighted below.
The news of the accident came as a bolt from the blue.
As a pleasant surprise
As a flood
As something expected
As something unexpected and unpleasant
Question 1 Explanation:
The idiom ‘A Blot from the blue’ means: A horrible shock which is unexpected and unpleasant For example: The tragic death of the king came as a blot from Blue
Our house number is 117. Our house is within a stone's throw from the Red Building.
very near to
Question 2 Explanation:
The idiom ‘within a stone's throw ‘means: Being very near / close by. For example: Her school was within a stone’s throw from her house.
The company has run into a lot of debts.
Question 3 Explanation:
The idiom ‘run into’ means: incurred or go into. The producer of the flop film ran in to debts.
The teacher advised the students to take into account the advice given by the elders.
Question 4 Explanation:
The idiom ‘to take into account’ means: to consider or to listen. For example: I have told him in take in to account his mother’s point of view too.
The principal has to carry out the orders issued by the higher authorities.
Question 5 Explanation:
The idiom ‘carry out’ means: to execute or to see that they are worked upon. For example: Ram carried out the king’s orders and beheaded his enemy.
Once you are finished, click the button below. Any items you have not completed will be marked incorrect.
There are 5 questions to complete.
Want to explore more Idioms and Phrases Tests?
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-8
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-9
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-10
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-11
- Idioms and Phrases: Test-12