Meaning, Sentences, Synonyms and Antonyms for Ignominy
Ignominy, the word, expresses a feeling all of us have felt at some point of time in our lives. In fact, this feeling is extremely hard to avoid and if you say you have never ever felt such a thing in your lives, we have reason not to believe you.
YouTube Video for the word
There are a few things that can put anyone to shame, absolutely anyone!
For example: throwing a show at someone’s face, and if that be the president of the most powerful nation of the world, the shame and disgrace involved could not have been greater. Have a look for yourself:
Another word you should definitely learn from the same context is opprobrium, which means ‘state of disgrace resulting from public abuse’. This, to be honest, fits our context even better.
Pronunciation: ig-nuh-min-ee, ig-nom-uh-nee
Meaning of Ignominy
1. Great personal dishonour or humiliation. (noun)
2. Shameful or disgraceful action, conduct, or character. (noun)
Example Sentences for Ignominy
1. The ignominy of defeat is hard to bear for most of us.
2. I suffered the ignominy of fumbling in front of everyone.
3. The ignominy of spilling your drink is a bar is only understood by those who suffer from this misfortune.
Shame, humiliation, embarrassment, mortification; disgrace, dishonour, stigma, disrepute, discredit, degradation, abasement, opprobrium, obloquy, scandal, infamy, indignity,
Glory, fame, esteem, admiration, appreciation, encomium
The ignominy of Sunita’s child forced her to leave the society.
Would really appreciate quality help
amazing explanation with videos.
Thanks a lot Prachi..:)
everytime 9im shot of words to express..
grrt work sir..
keep it up