The word incompatibility is the opposite of compatibility. Hence the best way to learn it is by learning the antonym and then relating to it. We often hear the word compatible in computer terminology-like a laptop is windows 7 compatible-meaning it supports windows7 and they can work together. But if it incompatible then they cannot work together.
Incompatibility refers to the inability of two sides to co-exist peacefully because of differences in outlook and beliefs. It’s not just relationships between people that are characterized by incompatibility, though that’s the most common use of the term. Different objects and ideas can be too referred as to incompatible. Being tone deaf is incompatible with being a good singer, and if anyone’s ever tried to run a Mac program on a PC they know all about the incompatibility of different computer systems.
Meanings of Incompatibility
1. The quality of being unable to exist or work in congenial combination
2. being contrary or opposed in character
3. Unable to be true simultaneously(logic)
4. Unable to be held simultaneously by one person (position, rank or function)
Sentence Examples for Incompatibility:
1. She asked for a divorce because they were utterly incompatible.
2. There is always a risk that a student may prove incompatible with their placement.
3. The boy couldn’t use his new game cartridges because of their incompatibility with his old game system.