During Indian elections, lots of people are intimidated by the politicians to vote for their party. Intimidation is a tool used by the powerful to control the meek, to make them surrender to their wishes.
THE DICTIONARY MEANING OF INTIMIDATE
1. To make timid; fill with fear.
2. To coerce or inhibit by or as if by threats.
3. To make timid or fearful; make afraid; inspire with fear; deter by threats
Master tip to learn the word:
Intimidate can also be learnt by in+timid(..fearful)+ ate… when we are in fear we get FRIGHTENED.This way it can be remembered.
1. Her boss intimidates her.
2. Good for Speaker Pelosi standing her ground and principles on not letting Mr. Weinstein intimidate her with his demands.
3. Unions were this afternoon accused of attempting to “intimidate” the Government by warning of.
4. Activists reported snipers lining up on rooftops in Zabadani, a town some 25 miles northwest of Damascus, to intimidate people into staying home.
5. He went there to intimidate a voter into staying away from the polls.