Directions (Qs. 1-5): Five colleagues pooled their efforts during the office lunch-hour to solve the crossword in the daily paper.
Colleagues: Mr. Biswas, Mr. Iswar, Ms. Eienstein, Ms. Sheetal, Ms. Titan.
Answers: Burman, Bunny, Badmash, Roseltvolt, Stylish.
Numbers: 4 up, 8 beside, 15 beside, 15 up, 21 up
Order: First, second, third, fourth, fifth.
1. Titan produced the answer to 8 beside, which had the same number of letters as the previous answer to be inserted, and one more than the subsequent answer which was produced by one of the men.
2.It was not Biswas who solved the clue to ‘Burman’, and Iswar did not solve 4 up.
3.The answers to 15 beside and 15 up did not have the same number of letters.
4.’Stylish’, which was not the third word to be inserted was the answer to an across clue.
5.’Bunny’, was the first word to be entered in the grid and was an answer to 15 up and ‘Badmash’ was not the second answer to be found and was answer to a down clue.
6. Eienstein’s word was longer than Biswas’s’and Sheetal’s ; Sheetal was neither the first nor the last to come up with an answer.
7.Fifth one to be worked out was an answer to an down clue.
Question 1: What was Sheetal’s word?
Question 2: What could be Titan’s answer?
Question 3 : What was Titan’s order?
Question 4 : What was Iswar’s number?
A. 4 up
B. 21 up
C. 8 beside
D. 15 up
E. 15 beside
Question 5 : What was Biswas’s word?
Answers and Explanations
Solution: For questions 1 to 5:
- 8 beside an Across clue – Titan – Answer (Stylish or Badmash) as it must same number of letters as the previous one. Also the subsequent answer would have 6 letters i.e. Burman given by one of the two men.
- From information (5): Badmash was an answer to down clue and hence answer by Titan would be Stylish which follows Badmash. Hence the sequence would be Badmash followed by Stylish followed by Burman.
- Stylish is not the third word and Badmash is not the second word which leaves us with Badmash being the third word followed by Stylish followed by Burman.
- Given that Biswas did not solve the clue to “Burman” means Ishwar solved Burman which was not 4 up.
- From information (5): Bunny was the first word and hence the second word would be Roseltvolt.
- Bunny was an answer to 15 up.
- From information (7): Fifth word i.e. Burman was an answer to down clue which was answered by Mr. Ishwar and hence cannot be 4 up. Thus it was 21 up.
- Badmash was an answer to down clue which would be 4 up which leaves Roseltvolt to be an answer to 15 beside.
- From information (6): Eienstein’s word was longer than Biswas’s’and Sheetal’s that means she answered Roseltvolt. Also since Sheetal could not be first she has to be third and Biswas would be first.
So, the final table will look like:
Answer 1: (A)
Answer 2: (B)
Answer 3: (D)
Answer 4: (B)
Answer 5: (A)
Want to explore more Logical Reasoning Sets?
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-14
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-15
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-16
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-17
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-18