Answer Question nos. 1 to 3 based on the following information:
On a certain day six passengers from Ahmedabad, Jaipur, Pune, Chennai, Kolkata and Mumbai boarded the Noida bound Shatabadi Express from TataNagar. The following facts are known about these six passengers:
• The persons from Pune and Ahmedabad are less than 36 years of age.
• Person Z, the youngest among all is a Teacher.
• The oldest person is from Chennai and his/her profession is same as that of the person who got down at Punjab.
• The persons from Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Kolkata got down at four different stations. The eldest among these four got down at Kochi and the youngest at Sarangpur. The person who got down at Noida is older than the person who got down at Punjab.
• The Scientist from Jaipur is older than the Scientist from Ahmedabad.
• While arranging the Engineers in increasing order of age it was observed that the middle person is as old as the Scientist from Ahmedabad.
• Person Y who got down at Punjab is less than 34 years old.
• The Engineer from Pune is four years older than the 31 year old Teacher who is not from Kolkata.
• In the past, three of the travellers have served in the Indian Army.
Question 1 : If W is neither the youngest nor the oldest among the travellers from her profession, which of the following is true about her?
A. She got down at Koderrna.
B. She is 36 years old.
C. She got down at Punjab.
D. She is from Pune.
E. None of the above
Question 2 : Which of the following options is true?
A. The person from Ahmedabad is older than the person from Pune.
B. The oldest Engineer is from Kolkata.
C. The person from Kolkata is older than at least one of the Scientists.
D. The person from Pune got down at Punjab, and was a Scientist.
E. The person who got down at Noida is older than Y, who in turn is older than the person from Mumbai.
Question 3 : All six travellers are working in the same organization for at least one year. The organization recruits two categories of employees – fresh graduates and those who have at least five years of experience in the Indian Army. In both cases a new recruit should be less than 30 years of age. Among the travellers from same profession, those with military background are at least five years older than the travellers who joined as fresh graduates. Identify the travellers who joined the organization as fresh graduate(s):
A. Only Y
B. The person Y and the traveller from Ahmedabad.
C. The person Y and the travellers from Pune and Mumbai.
D. The travellers from Pune and Mumbai.
E. The Engineer from Kolkata, the traveller from Pune and the younger Scientist.
Answers and Explanations
Answers: For questions 1 to 3: The given information is tabulated below: There are 2 Scientists, 3 Engineers and 1 Teacher among the passengers. From the third statement, we can say that the person from Chennai and the one who gets down at Punjab are Engineers. Now, passengers from Jaipur and Ahmedabad are Scientists, those from Chennai and Pune are Engineers, and the Teacher is not from Kolkata. So, the Teacher must be from Mumbai and the Engineer who got down at Punjab must be from Kolkata. From the fourth statement, we can say that the youngest passenger, who is the Teacher, gets down at Sarangpur. Now, the Engineer from Pune, who is 35 years old, is as old as the Scientist from Ahmedabad. Now, among the persons from Jaipur, Ahmedabad, Mumbai and Kolkata, the person from Jaipur is the oldest. The conclusions can be tabulated as shown below.
Answer 1 : (D)
W must be an Engineer. She is from Pune and is 35 years old.
Answer 2 : (E)
Option E is true.
Answer 3 : (E)
The Engineer is from Kolkata, the traveller is from Pune and the younger Scientist.
Want to explore more Logical Reasoning Sets?
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-18
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-19
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-20
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-21
- Logical Reasoning (Level-3): Set-22