Nepotism is the favoritism that is shown to relatives during appointments or interviews for desirable and high level positions. It is a noun.
It first originated in 1655 and has been derived from the Italian word nepotismo.
Meanings of Nepotism
1. Patronage granted to relatives in financial matters
2. Favoritism based on kinship
Master’s Tip to Learn Nepotism
Nepotism can be broken down into two words ‘Nephew + Favoritism’. Therefore, it means showing favoritism to one’s nephew or other kin.
Sentence examples for Nepotism:
1. She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.
2. It is believed that nepotism was one of the major reasons behind the company’s decline.
3. Corruption, nepotism and malfeasance is rampant in government offices.