There are a few things/emotions/expressions that come to mind when one watches this advertisement. And our endeavour is to learn a new word with each of these expressions.
One is the sombre tone of the music. Sombre means gloomy, sad and dimly lit (in the physical sense). The music is sombre in the sense that it touches a sad chord somewhere deep down, giving it that serious feeling.
The second thing that sticks to one’s mind is the sadness of this man, which we can label as heartbreak, sorrow and grief. Look up the meanings of each of these words and try to relate it with the expression in his eyes.
Last but not the least; let’s talk about the main focus word of this post. The protagonist (The principal character in a work of fiction) in the second half of this ad mentions how he is never able to speak the truth to his daughter and how he ends simply ordering breakfast every day. That feeling, when you wish to say something else and you are not able to do so, that is feeling of being overwhelmed.
According to the dictionary, overwhelmed carries the following meanings (mentioned with usage):
1. To surge over and submerge; engulf: rain overwhelming the whole peninsula.
2. To defeat completely and decisively: The American team was overwhelmed the Europeans by 100 points.
3. To affect deeply in mind or emotion: Despair overwhelmed me and crippled me beyond the point of any action.
4. To present with an excessive amount: The wife was overwhelmed by her husband with expensive gifts.
5. To turn over; upset: The small sail boat was overwhelmed by the enormous waves and it sank deep into the abyss of the ocean.