Sometimes saying hello or even returning gifts is such a social obligation. Sometimes, it’s just the routine with which you say hello to someone and just a social pressure that makes you return the gifts. It’s just another routine.
Meanings of Perfunctory:
1) Something that is performed as a routine
2) Something that is performed n a superficial level .e.g. a social obligation of returning gifts
3) Something that is done without any interest or any eagerness
Master’s tip to learn Perfunctory:
Perfunctory can be easily learnt by imagining a situation where you have to return a gift, just because you have to and you don’t feel like. Surly, many of you can relate to the situation.
Sentence examples for Perfunctory:
1) Returning gifts is a perfunctory act; thrust upon us a social etiquette. (Adjective)
2) Passion means commitment to your dance and it should not come across as perfunctory act to the audience. (Adjective)
3) She perfunctorily greeted her neighbour. (Adverb)
4) The perfunctory nature of our social customs has made functions boring to people. (Noun)