It is very safe to scuba dive under authorised guidance, it will keep you safe and as well as keep you at arm’s length from any harm. And, at the same time it is not very safe to be loitering out in the dark when you are in a wildlife reserve. From today let’s take care that nothing poses a threat to us and for that it would be important to fit the word peril in its right context. It will only be possible when you know the meaning in detail. It is a Noun
Its first usage dates back to 1225 and is an old French word. It comes from the Latin word periculum, which means an attempt to danger. Peri, the root, which means to try has been supplemented with the suffix ‘culum’.
The dictionary definitions for peril are as follows:
1) Looming danger
2) Something that causes harm
3) Prone/ Exposure to harm or danger
1) To expose to danger/harm
Master tip to learn peril:
Peril can be easily learnt while associating it with the word perish. Yes, it sounds alike, but also can be associated with each other in terms of meaning, as a peril task could easily perish (end) a person .i.e. end person’s life.
Peril can be used in the following ways:
1) They had avoided the peril of undertaking such a task in the beginning, but eventually it haunted them till the end. (Noun)
2) His life was in peril when he decided to cross that wooden bridge. (Noun)
3) The side effects of pesticides have been imperilling/periling the crops. (Verb)
4) It was a perilous task/situation. (Adjective)
5) He was perilously close to falling off the chair. (Adverb)
peril can be remembered with movie name “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl” which indicates some danger,harm.