The word phenomenon is many times confused with the words “phenomenal” and “phenomena”. Where phenomena is the plural of phenomenon, phenomenal means something highly extraordinary or prodigious.
Meaning of Phenomenon
1. Something that is impressive or extraordinary
2. A fact, occurrence or a circumstance observed
3. A remarkable or exceptional person.
Master’s tip to learn the word
Best way to remember this word: have a look at all the phenomena that keep happening around us all the time. At best, nature keeps us occupied with so many of them, each of them being a treat in itself. If we develop a certain outlook, then from snowfall to rain, each is a phenomena in itself.
Sentence Examples for Phenomenon
1. A red tide is a natural phenomenon that causes fish to die.
2. The formation of lightning is a phenomenon still not completely understood.
3. An example of remarkable phenomena is the classical music great Beethoven.