Public Sector Banks in India
List of public sector banks in India along with their headquarters and tagline is an important Banking General Awareness topic for Bank PO, MBA and other government exams. You can expect atleast 1-2 questions from List of Public sector bank with their headquarters in any competitive exam. This is a must read topic for a Bank aspirant as every year at least 2 questions are asked from it in SBI PO, IBPS PO and other banking exams. The following list is the latest list of public sector banks in India 2017 along with their headquarters and tagline. Before you mug up the list let us first understand few important points about Public sector banks.
1. What is a Public sector bank in India?
Ans. Public sector banks are those where majority of the stake (i.e. more than 50%) in the bank is held by government.
2. How many public sector banks are there in India?
Ans. As of June 2017, there are 21 Public sector banks in India including IDBI.
3. What are the top 3 public sector banks in India?
Ans. State Bank of India is the largest public sector bank in India followed by Bank of Baroda and Punjab National Bank.
Important News related to Public sector banks in India
- Merger of SBI – Five associates of SBI and the Bharatiya Mahila Bank merged with SBI with effect from April 1. With this merger SBI joined the league of top 50 banks globally in terms of assets. The merged entity has a deposit base of more than Rs 26 lakh crore and advances level of ₹18.50 lakh crore.
- Govt appoints heads of 7 public sector banks – In a major restructuring in the Public Sector Undertaking banking space, the government appointed heads of various public sector banks (Vijaya Bank, Bank of India and others) besides carrying out rejigs at Punjab National Bank and Bank of India.
- Current RBI Monetary Policy Rates (Announced on 7th June 2017) –
|Reverse Repo Rate||6.00%|
|Marginal Standing Facility Rate||6.50%|
|Cash Reserve Ratio||4.00%|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio||20.00%|
Following is a list of public sector banks in India along with their Taglines:
|1.||Allahabad Bank||Kolkata||A tradition of trust|
|2.||Andhra Bank||Hyderabad||Where India Banks|
|3.||Bank of Baroda||Vadodara||India’s International Bank|
|4.||Bank of India||Mumbai||Relationships beyond Banking|
|5.||Bank of Maharashtra||Pune||One Family One Bank|
|6.||Bhartiya Mahila Bank (Merged with SBI)||Delhi||Empowering Women, Empowering India|
|7.||Canara Bank||Bangalore||Together we can|
|8.||Central Bank of India||Mumbai||Central To you Since 1911, Build A Better Life Around Us|
|9.||Corporation Bank||Mangalore||A Premier Public Sector Bank, Prosperity for all|
|10.||Dena Bank||Mumbai||Trusted Family Bank|
|11.||Indian Bank||Chennai||Your Tech-friendly bank|
|12.||Indian Overseas Bank||Chennai||Good people to grow with|
|13.||IDBI Bank||Mumbai||Banking For All, Bank Aisa Dost Jaisa|
|14.||Oriental Bank of Commerce||Gurugram||Where every individual is committed|
|15.||Punjab National Bank||New Delhi||The Name you can Bank Upon|
|16.||Punjab & Sind Bank||New Delhi||Where Service Is A Way Of Life|
|17.||State Bank of India||Mumbai||With you all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation’s banks on us|
|18.||Syndicate Bank||Manipal||Faithful. Friendly|
|19.||UCO Bank||Kolkata||Honors Your Trust|
|20.||Union Bank of India||Mumbai||Good people to bank with|
|21.||United Bank of India||Kolkata||The Bank that begins with “U”|
|22.||Vijaya Bank||Bangalore||A Friend You Can Bank On|