The word ‘Rail’ is a noun and has more than one meaning in mainstream use today. It can be a bar or bars of rolled steel making a track, or tracks, along which vehicles; such as, trains, can roll or travel on. It is also used for a barrier consisting of a horizontal wooden or metal bar and supports, which people can use to hold on to in order to keep from falling.
Meanings of Rail
1. A bar extending horizontally between supports, as in a fence.
2. A steel bar used, usually in pairs, as a track for railroad cars or other wheeled vehicles.
3. The railroad as a means of transportation
Master’s Tip to Learn Rail
The best way to remember the meaning is to think of ‘Railways’ as most of the uses of a rail can be related to it.
Sentence examples for Rail:
1. Our products were transported by rail to the various stores.
2. The workers found a cracked rail on the intercity train track today.
3. They have to travel back and forth from their town to the city by rail every working day.