Feel as if your life has come to a standstill and it is just not moving forward? Feel as if nothing new happens around you and it is all the same? Well, my friend, you are in the middle of a period of stagnancy, a still zone where nothing seems to move forward.
Mnemonic Aid to Learn Stagnant:
There is not a very direct way to learn the word. Fortunately for us it is used quite frequently and hence quite a lot of us are familiar with it. Anyways a method to learn the word would be to break it into Still+ Dormant. A rather farfetched idea but a useful one for the two words come very close to the actual meaning of the word and help us remember it.
Meaning of Stagnant:
1. Not flowing or running, as water, air, etc.
2. Inactive, sluggish, or dull.
3. Characterized by lack of development, advancement, or progressive movement
Pronunciation of Stagnant : stag-nuhnt
Sentence Examples for Stagnant:
1. In stagnant air, pollutant particles linger and can cause problems for people.
2. One of the major reasons for the risings prices is the stagnant economy.
3. It is advisable not to let stagnant water collect in or around your house for it is a breeding house for germs of umpteen kinds.