Life has its tortuous turns, doesn’t it? It twists and turns, move through highs and lows, gives you your fair share of good and bad moments, and at the end of this rollercoaster, you think was it worth the effort.
Pronunciation- tawr-choo-uh s
Master’s tip to learn:
Well, pretty simple to learn the word: the rollercoaster in the picture is a perfect example for a tortuous journey.
Meanings of Tortuous:
1. Full of twists, turns, or bends; twisting, winding, or crooked: a tortuous path
2. Not direct or straightforward, as in procedure or speech; intricate; circuitous: tortuous negotiations lasting for months.
3. Deceitfully indirect or morally crooked, as proceedings, methods, or policy; devious
Usage Examples for Tortuous:
1. The road from Manali to Rohtang is a tortuous stretch of a narrow one-way road.
2. The character of Ozymandius from ‘The Watchmen’ was a tortuous one.
3. The minister’s tortuous and wavering speech turned suspicions to belief of his involvement in the case.