1. Violence rocks the North Kashmir towns of Handwara and Kupwara, as a few mob driven youths are killed in security forces firing to control the unrest. The unrest started against the molestation of a female near a security force bunker. The teenage girl states in Court that she was molested by a local youth and not by men of the security forces.
2. The Rafale jet fighter air craft deal for 36 jets from Dassault Aviation of France is commercially concluded for Rs. 59000 crores. The 1st set of jets shall be delivered in 18/20 months’ time.
3. The British Royal Couple, Prince William and Princess Katherine (Kate) are on a visit to India and have been to Mumbai, TajMahal in Agra and New Delhi. They were hosted over lunch by PM Modi in New Delhi.
4. In the ongoing state elections for West Bengal assembly, 80% polling has been recorded in the second phase and 79.22% in Kolkata city for the third phase.
5. The Gujarat Patidar agitation of Patel’s for reservations in Govt. jobs turns violent in Mahesana town, where curfew had to be imposed because of clashes.
6. PM Modi refers to J&K as crown of India at a rally in Kakryal near Katra in J&K. He assures J&K government of Mehbooba Mufti of all help. The occasion was the convocation ceremony for alumini of Sri Mata Veshno Devi University at Katra.
7. The union government puts on hold EPF withdrawal clauses announced in this year’s union budget till July end in the wake of wide spread protests against the new clauses in Bangalore and other cities.
8. The Uttarkhand High Court quashes President’s rule in Uttarkhand and calls for a floor test in the state assembly on April 29. The imposition of Presidents rule under Article 356 of the constitution by the Centre came under observation of the Division Bench of the High Court.
1. An earthquake of 7.0 magnitude on Richter scale hits South Japan’s Kumamoto prefecture of the main island of Kyushu. Bridges, Buildings, Factories collapse leaving 41 dead and 2000 hurt. The damage is estimated at over $10 billion. 230 aftershocks after the main earthquake have been recorded.
2. The South American Country Ecuador on Pacific coast has been devastated by 7.8 magnitude earthquake. Buildings have tumbled leaving 450 killed and countless injured.
3. A spring offensive has been announced by the Taliban in Kabul. A truck laden bomber tore through a government building in Pul-e-Mahmood Khan area in down town Kabul near the American embassy. Over 30 killed in the attack on the National Directorate of Security (Afghanistan Premier Spy Agency) building.
4. The game changing New York primary in the American Presidential elections taken by front runners Donald Trump of the Republicans and Hillary Clinton of the Democrats. Trump now leads with 847 delegates but requires 1237 in all for Republican nomination. Clinton has a score of 1930 but requires 2383 for Democratic Party Presidential candidature.
1. Controversy brews in Punjab over missing grain stocks bought against cash credit limit taken by Punjab Government from a consortium of Public Sector Banks lead by State Bank of India. The RBI has reported that stocks worth Rs. 12000 crores are missing. The Punjab Government claims to have diverted Rs. 900 crores for another food program which it claims to have returned with interest. The whole of the banking sector is agog with fear of sovereign default.
2. Infosys Q-4 results beat street estimates. TCS net profit is also up by 73% as it witnesses a stellar growth in 4th quarter.
3. Bricks New Development Bank (NDB) advances a credit of $250 million funding to Canara Bank for 4 green renewable energy projects to help generates 500 MW of renewable energy and save on 800,000 tonnes of carbon emission.
Science and Technology
1. Ecuador and Japan are located on the Circum Pacific Seismic belt, which is also known as the seismically active Ring of Fire sweeping the South Pacific Islands, Indonesia, Japan, across to Alaska, West Coast of US, Central and South America’s coast on the Pacific Ocean.
Planet Earth is on a quake mode as scientists seek an answer to the recent earthquakes ranging from Myanmar to Afghanistan and then on to Ecuador and Japan and the quake discharged energy from the interior of our planet is also a matter of study.
2. On Friday April 22, Moon was at its farthest point- apogee in orbit around earth at 406350 kms against an average distance of 384000 kms. This Phenomenon occurs every 15 years. The Moon looks a little smaller because of the additional distance and is known as the “Mini Moon”.
1. India win the silver Medal in the Azlan Shah Hockey Tournament in Ipoh, Malaysia as runner up. They lost to Australia 4-0 in the finals.
2. India to be represented at Rio Olympics in gymnastics event by Dipa Karmakar who secures her place in a test event at Mumbai. She is known for her skill in Produnova Vault.
3. Sports person of the year Trophy won for the 3rd time by Novak Djokovic at the 16th Laureus World Sports Awards in Berlin. Serena Williams took the women’s honors as the best sports person.
4. The Olympic torch for the Rio Olympics games lit in the 2600 year old Temple of Hera at Ancient Olympia in Greece. OlympicGames are to commence in Brazil in 100 days’ time.
5. IPL Cricket League Matches winners and losersat various venues across the country:
• New Delhi: Delhi Daredevils beat Kings XI Punjab.
• Hyderabad: Kolkata Knight Riders defeat Sunrisers Hyderabad.
• Mohali: Kings XI Punjab beat Rising Pune Supergiants.
• Hyderabad: Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Mumbai Indians.
• Mohali: Kings XI Punjab loose to Kolkata Knight Riders.
• Mumbai: Mumbai Indians beat Royale ChallengersBangalore.
• Rajkot:Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Gujarat Lions.
6. Car Racing: China Grand Prix in Shanghai won by Mercedes team of Nico Rosberg.