1. The Uttarakhand assembly MLA majority tussle between the Congress and the BJP reaches the Supreme Court which stays High Court order for trial of strength and revives the central rule.
2. Navjot Singh Sidhu former cricket player, boxer Mary Kom, political activist Subramaniam Swamy and scribe Swapan Das Gupta nominated to the Rajya Sabha as BJP nominees.
3. ISIS India chief Mohammad Shafi Armar, age 26 years killed in US drone strike in Syria. He was onthe most wanted list of many Indian States and was the chief recruiter of ISIS in the country. He belonged to Karnataka and was a part of Indian Mujahideen associated to Pakistan based Riyaz and Iqbal Bhatkal.
4. An Italian Court of Appeals (equivalent toan Indian High Court) slams the UPA Government for substantial disregard in the Augusta Westland helicopter pay off deal to Indian middleman, politicians and IAF officers. The judgment laid emphasis on a handwritten note recovered from Augusta Westland head Guiseppe Orsi’s prison cell, the contents of which revealed that former Indian PM was to be contacted by theItalian PM through a middleman. Subramaniam Swamy the new Rajya Sabha member raises the issue vociferously in Parliament.The Parliament session is disrupted by the Congress party on this accusation.
5. The rising day temperatures in the range of 40-46°C at various places in India are accentuating the problem of drought with Marathwada region of Maharashtra being the worst hit where 8522 villages have just 3% water left in the dams and faces acute drinking water scarcity.
6. The UN rules out any interference / direct role in Kashmir valley. United Nations Peace Building Commission chair Macharia Kamau stated as such at UN in New York.
7. The Bombay High Court orders demolition of 31 storey Adarsh Co-Operative Housing Society Building. The Adarsh scam had led to the fall of previous Congress Govt. CM Ashok Chavan. The building has a great sea view and is located in the prime area of Colaba. The building was originally meant to be a six storey structure for war widows. The stories kept on adding as necessary approvals were sought and politicians and bureaucrats with their relatives kept on creeping in.
1. The June 23 Brexit referendum is echoed by President Obama of US on a state visit to Britain, advising it to remain in the 28 member EU block.
2. The American Presidential election candidates move into a decisive phase with Republican party candidate Donald Trump sweeping the primaries of Maryland, Connecticut, Delware, Pennsylvania and Rhode Island and his tally stands at 950/1237 delegates in his favour. Hillary Clinton has also made a clean sweep in the above primaries except Rhode Island and her tally stands at 2141/2383 delegates in her favour.
3. The Syrian town of Allepo bears the brunt of 6 days of continuous shelling by rebels and bombing by US and Russian jets in aid of government forces. 200 people have been killed,a hospital destroyed in town of al-Quds. Already this civil war has taken a toll of 250,000 people. The rise of ISIS is attributed to this strife between the rebels and government forces with vested interest of other Arab countries.
1. Reliance Industries Ltd. posts a profit of Rs. 7398 crores, the highest in 8 years for the bygone quarter. HDFC Bank’s profit for the same period rose by 20% at Rs. 3374 crores.
2. Ministry of External Affairs revokes Vijay Mallya’s passport and non-bailable warrants have been issued against him by a Mumbai Court on the plea of Enforcement Directorate in a money laundering case.
3. FDI investment in India reaches a record of $51 billion in 11 months of FY-16 April to February period as claimed by the DIPP Secretary, Government of India.
Science and Technology
1. The Solar Impulse2 plane on a round the world trip landed in California from Japan, flying over the Pacific Ocean without organic fuel. The carbon fiber aircraft’s wings are equipped with 17000 solar cells that power the propellers and charge its batteries. The plane has a single pilot in a Swiss nationalBertrand Piccard.
2. India gets into the same league for GPS system as the US with a successful launch of IRNSS-16, the 7th of and the last in the number of satellites deployed to make up the Indian regional navigation satellites system. It becomes operational in 1 month time and would aid terrestrial, aerial, marine navigation, fleet tracking and disaster management.
1. Ecuador, the country hit by 7.8 magnitude quake has the mountain Mount Chimborazo which is on the equatorial bulge and is the closest point on earth to the sun and farthest from its core. Ecuador has one of the greatest densities of active volcanoes and is the world’s largest exporter of Bananas.
2. The statue of Liberty at Manhattan, New York was designed, built and gifted by the French in 1886 to commemorate the alliance between USA and France during the American Revolution.
3. April 23rd was the 400th death anniversary of famed and timeless writer William Shakespeare. All though nothing is confirmed about his birth date, he was born at Stratford-upon-Avon in Warwickshire, 160 kms North West of London. The River Avon runs through the town. Some of his famous works are Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, Twelfth Night, Henry iv, Henry v, Julius Caesar, Othello, Macbeth, Antony and Cleopatra.
1. In the Federation Cup athletics in Delhi, Orissa’s Dutee Chand clocks 11.33 seconds in women’s 100 meters to break the national record. Orissa’s Mullick wins the men’s 100 meters race in a record breaking performance of 10.26 seconds in the preliminary heats. He however lost in the finals because of an injury.
Lalita Babbar clocks 9.27.09Ms in 3000 meters Steeple chase to win a gold and qualify for Rio Olympics. Sudha Singh wins a silver with a time of 9.31.86Ms and also qualified for the Rio Olympics.
2. Champion League Soccer Tournament being played in Europe. Athletico Madrid beat Bayern Munich 1-0 in the semifinal played in Madrid. Saul Niguaz scored the all-important goal. The return semifinals will be played in Munich.
Real Madrid drew 0-0 with Manchester City in first leg semifinal played at Manchester.
3. IPL Cricket League Matches played at various venues across the country:
• Hyderabad: Sunrisers Hyderabad beat Kings XI Punjab.
• Pune: Royale Challengers Bangalore beat Rising Pune Supergiants.
• New Delhi: Delhi Daredevils defeat Mumbai Indians.
• Rajkot: Royale Challengers Bangalore lose to Gujarat Lions.
• Pune: Kolkata Knight Riders beat Rising Pune Supergiants.
• New Delhi: Mumbai Indian defeat Kolkata Knight Riders.
• Pune: Rising Pune Supergiants lose to Gujarat Lions.