1. The Pakistan High Commissioner to India Abdul Basit has stated that peace talks with India stood suspended. The move is a setback to the revamp of bilateral relations between India and Pakistan. His foreign ministry in Pakistan has contradicted him on the subject and has reaffirmed the continuation of bilateral dialogue between the two countries.
2. IIT undergraduates’ fee raised from Rs. 90,000 to Rs. 2.0 lakhs from the upcoming academic session. There is a full fee waiver from SC/ST and differently abled students and whose family income is less than Rs. 1 lakh per year. Concessional fee for students with family income up to Rs. 5 lacs per year is also mooted.
3. The 400 year old tradition of women being not allowed into the prayers at the sacred platform of the Shani Shingnapur temple in Ahmednagar dist. of Maharashtra has been done away with on the occasion of Gaudi Padwa, the Maratha New Year.
4. D.G. Vanzara, 1987 batch IPS officer who had been in detention since 2007 in the Sohrabuddin Sheikh fake encounter case has been released. He was an accused in the Tulsiram Prajapati and IshratJahan encounter case also. He received a hero’s welcome in Gandhinagar from RSS, VHP and other Hindu organizations on his release from Prison.
5. A tragedy strikes at the Putingal temple near Kollam in Kerala, as an illegal fireworks display lead to devastation because of sparks of crackers flying on to a cracker dump and thus setting it ablaze with a thunderous explosion. 110 people were dead and 350 injured. PM Modi visits Kollam to express his grief along with medical aid for the injured.
6. An earthquake with a magnitude of 6.8 with epic Centre in the Hindukush Mountains on the Pak-Afghan border rocks north India as well as parts of west China, north Pakistan and Afghanistan. There is loss of life and property in J&K because of the earthquake.
7. India and US agree to use logistically each other’s military assets and bases for repair and replenishment. This was announced by the government at the end of American defence secretary Ashton Carter and defence minister Manohar Parrikar’s talks in New Delhi.
1. A Milan Court in Italy has sentenced the former chief of Finmeccanica, Giuseppe Orsi and Bruno Spagnolini head of its UK based subsidiary Augusta Westland to a 4 and 4 year prison term respectively on grounds of bribing Indian politicians, bureaucrats and officials of Indian Air force. A former chief of Indian Air force and his 3 relatives are also accused in the case filed by CBI in a Delhi Court in the matter besides others. The bribery sum of Rs. 360 crores was for purchase of 12 AW-101 Augusta Westland helicopters.
2. In the run up to the American Presidential Elections Bernie Sanders of the Democrats takes home the delegate count of Wyoming primary. Ted Cruz of the republicans wins the Colorado primary.
1. IndianBanks consortium led by State Bank of India do not accept Kingfisher Airlines Vijay Mallya’s offer of paying a total of Rs. 4000 crores i.eRs. 2000 crores upfront and balance by September end as stated by his lawyer in the Supreme Court. The total outstanding amount against him of the banks is in the vicinity of Rs. 9000 crores. The Supreme Court has directed Vijay Mallya to disclose all his assets.
2. A good monsoon between 104-110% of normal rain fall has been predicted by the Indian Meteorological department (IMD) and private forecaster Skymet. This is a good news for farmers in distress and the Indian economy after 2 bad monsoon years.
Science and Technology
1. Space X Falcon 9 rocket and Dragon capsule launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force stations launch complex 40. The rocket carries supplies for International Space Station and a futuristic pop-up room.
2. Researchers at the German Research Centre for Geosciences have found that Greenland which is in the Northern hemisphere almost in the Arctic circle is over an abnormally hot mantle of earth that drives the melting of ice sheets from beneath and causes rapid ice flow over several hundred kilometers.
1. In the Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament being played at Ipoh in Malaysia, India lose to Australia 5-1 but wins against Canada 3-1 in the league matches. In yet another league match India defeat Pakistan 5-1.
2. In the Malaysian Open Badminton Tournament Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu reach the quarter finals of the women’s single events. The Indian men team is out of the tournamenthaving lost their matches.
3. The 80th Masters Tournament of Golf in Augusta, USA won by Englishman Danny Willet. The reigning champion Jordan Spieth has lost. India’s Anirban Lehiri is at 42nd place in the tournament.
4. The IPL T-20 Tournament has got underway with lot of fanfare and the first match of the tournament was played at Kolkata, where Kolkata Knight Riders defeated Delhi Daredevils.
In another match at Mumbai, Rising Pune Supergiants thrash Mumbai Indians.
At home ground in Mohali, King XI Punjab lose to Gujarat Lions.
At the Bangalore venue, Royale Challengers Bangalore beat Sunrisers Hyderabad.
Two new teams played at Rajkot, Gujarat Lions and Pune Supergiants, where the match went in favor of the first team.