Definition & Meaning: Word Root Cide
The word root ‘CIDE’ means killing or destruction. One common word based on this root is genocide.
The word root ‘GENO’/ ‘GEN’ means race, kind, family or birth.
If we combine these two root words we’ll get ‘genocide’, which refers to the intentional killing of a race or cultural group.
Thus, all words built upon the word root ‘CIDE’ involve a killing of some description.
Words based on the root Cide
1. Algicide: A substance for killing algae
2. Biocide: The destruction of life
3. Deicide: Killing of a god
4. Feticide: Destruction of a fetus
5. Filaricide: A substance for killing filariae
6. Filicide: Killing of one’s child
7. Fratricide: Killing of one’s brother
8. Fungicide: A substance for destroying fungus
9. Germicide: A substance for destroying germs
10. Homicide: Killing of a human
11. Infanticide: Killing of an infant
12. Insecticide: A substance for killing insects
13. Mariticide: Killing of one’s spouse
14. Matricide: Killing of one’s mother
15. Nepoticide: Killing of one’s nephew
16. Patricide: Killing of one’s father
17. RegiCIDE: Killing of a monarch
18. Sororicide: Killing of one’s sister
19. Suicide: Killing of self
20. Tyrannicide: Killing of a tyrant