Definition & Meaning: Word Root Demo
Demo comes from Greek word demos people. Thus, words with the word root demo- either refers to people or to population.
Let’s have a look at the word democracy, which is a form of government, where people elect their rulers.
‘Democracy’ breaks down into:
Demo + Cracy= Rule of/by the people
Even though the politician claimed to strive for democracy he was nothing but a demagogue trying to win the place.
Words based on the root Demo
1. Cyberdemocracy: A government that uses communication technologies to rule
2. Demagogue: A leader of a popular faction or of the mob (negative)
3. Democide: Killing of a mass/people
4. Democrat: One who supports the rule by the people
5. Demoeconomy: Demographic economy, related to statistics about people
6. Demogenic: Based on citizenship rather than kinship of people (society or community)
7. Demography: Branch of sociology that deals with statistics of populations (for example: that is births, deaths, marriages)
8. Demonym: A word that indicates native people of a particular place (Tai for Tailand, German for Germany)
9. Demomania: A desire to be with people or in crowded places
10. Demophile: One who is mad about people
11. Demotic: Colloquail or used by common people (language)
12. Endemic: Often found among particular people in a particular area (a condition or disease)
13. Epidemic: Contagious disease that affects many people
14. Epidemiologist: One who specialises in the ways diseases spread among people
15. Pandemonium: A state when people are noisy and hard to control