At some point of time, we have all done this. In the first case, we have backpedaled our cycles for fun in our childhood. In the second case, we have backpedaled our statements/attitudes or stances. We have gone back on our opinion more than once, have we not? This is what backpedaling is.
P.s: It is very convenient to backpedal according to the situation.
Dictionary Definitions for Backpedal:
1. To move the pedals of a bicycle or similar vehicle backward, especially to apply a brake. (verb)
2. To move backward by taking short quick steps, as in boxing or football. (verb)
3. To retreat or withdraw from a position or attitude. (verb)
Masters Tip to remember Backpedal:
BACKPEDAL = PEDALLING BACKWARDS
Just like these innovative circus artists do in their acts.
Usage Examples for Backpedal:
1. Turkey initially rejected the idea of any NATO military intervention in Libya, but has since appeared to backpedal as events on the ground changed and it found itself diplomatically isolated. — The Wall Street Journal, “Turkey Nudges Gadhafi Regime
2. In the resulting uproar, Fimian was forced to backpedal and apologize for what he called “a horrible choice of words.” — The Washington Post, “In Arizona, packing heat didnt work”